Thursday, April 26, 2012

Notes from the Future: Audio and Handwritten Journal, Part II

Part II

[The following are combined excerpts of audio and handwritten journal entries made in the days following the quake. Handwritten entries italicised.]

June 23
10:01 pm

We are being as quiet as we can. We know they can hear us. We think they may not know we came this way.

[Car driving; occasional sound of automotive struggle]

Veronica: Is the car going to make it?

Edward: Sure it is, it's a Honda.

Veronica: How does this neighborhood look so normal, and we just drove away from a geological war zone?

Edward: Ever been to West Oakland?

Veronica: My sweetie, always with the jokes.

Edward: I'll bet Max has to pee, but I say we don't stop until we get the fuck out of Dodge.

Veronica: Amen, Reverend Hightower.

[Car slows, brakes]

Veronica: Which way?

Edward: Left, I think ... it's hard to see in this smoke.

[Clicking of flashlight]

Edward: Does that say El Capitan?

Veronica: Yes.

Edward: Left. I think I know where this goes.

Veronica: Yes, my love. That is good. I like it when you know the way.

[Static on radio as Edward turns volume up, tries several stations; one comes in clear]

Krasny: ... Michael Krasny, on the phone with Steven Schwarzbach, center director of the USGS Western Ecological Research Center, headquartered in Sacramento; Steven, we've just heard some truly alarming reports coming out of the East Bay. What can you confirm?

Schwarzbach: Michael, we don't have confirmation of anything yet; I'm actually driving up -- my daughter is driving so I could talk to you, but -- we're on our way up to the Robert Sibley Regional Volcanic Preserve, because I think we'll have a good view of the mountain from there.

Edward: You want a good view of the mountain? Most of it has moved to Sycamore Valley Road, you fuckmook!

Veronica: Be nice, he probably knows your uncle.

Edward: Okay, shhhh ...

Krasny (under the above two lines): And that mountain is ...

Schwarzbach: Mt. Diablo. It appears there has been some additional seismic activity and, you know, it's a lucky thing I was here for an exhibit at the Lawrence Hall of Science, just a second, Michael -- (muffled speech off phone) Okay, we're pulling into the parking lot and -- nope, we're going to have to -- Laurel, take that road over there on the right; just -- crash it.

Krasny: If you're just joining us, this is Michael Krasny on the phone with Steven Schwarzbach --

[Big crash through radio, Schwarzbach lets out a "Hooo-eee!"]

Krasny: ... he's the center director of the USGS Western Ecological Research Center, Steven -- your report thus far is a lot more conservative than the calls we've been getting.

Schwarzbach: That's understandable, Michael, it's easy for people who live near an unexpected lake or river of fire to think they see a, um, thing that just can't be there.

Krasny: By which you mean a volcano.

Schwarzbach: You know, I don't mean to sound -- stick to the left, Laurel, fewer trees this way -- I don't mean to sound condescending, but when people get excited they can make a mountain out of a molehill pretty quickly.  Mt. Diablo is not a volcano.  Mountains that are not volcanoes do not simply wake up one morning and become volcanoes. Simple as that.

Krasny: You're taking the conservative scientific view.

Schwarzbach: I am.

Krasny: Well, let me read you some of the reports we're getting, is that all right?

Schwarzbach: Sure, it's entertaining radio, at least.

Krasny: But not sound science, no. That's why we're lucky to have you on the phone this evening. Okay, here's a call from Betty in Danville, who says, "Mt. Diablo has erupted, there is a river of lava flowing down toward my house and 680, I don't think we'll make it but we wanted you to know." Betty, if you're listening, we appreciate the call and we hope you make it out of there.

Schwarzbach: If, in fact, there's any reason to go. Turn right, here. Michael, we're on a fairly treeless ridge, here, heading up toward an area overlooking the old quarry. We'll have an unobstructed view in a few moments.

Edward (speaking over Krasny): Wow, they're on those hills in Oakland and we're right here, now, trying to escape. This is adventurous.

Veronica: Shh ...

Krasny: Here's another call from Louise in Lafayette: "The mountain is burning. It's erupted. God help us all."  Can't get any simpler than that.

Schwarzbach: Mass hysteria is an actual thing, Michael, and we're coming around a bend in the road right now, so there should be --

[Car driving, car driving on radio as well.]

Krasny: Steven? Can you tell us what you see?

Schwarzbach: Holy Mother of God.

Veronica: Oh my God, we're at Crow Canyon Road!

Edward: Of course. Turn left. Let's listen.

Krasny: Steven? Is everything okay?

Schwarzbach: Michael, I was, I was -- it looks like, holy shit, it looks like  -- Michael, forgive me, I'm going to have to cut this call short.

Krasny: Wait, now, Steven, can you tell us what you see?  Can you tell us what's really going on with Mt. Diablo?

Schwarzbach: It's erupted, Steven. The entire Western flank is on fire and, from here, it looks to be ejecting tephra at an alarming rate; there are lava flows down the Western and Southernwestern flanks and it looks like the majority of the lava is coming from the thrust fault on that Southwest flank.  Michael, I have got to get off the phone and call Sacramento right away, I'm sorry.

Krasny: Before you go, do you have any advice for the people at or near Mt. Diablo right now?

Schwarzbach: Get the hell out. And pray.

[click]

Krasny: There you have it, ladies and gentlemen ...

[Edward turns down volume.]

Edward: Wow, nobody is around.

Veronica: Should it be this dark? I get that it's smoky, but this seems really dark.

Edward: See that Chili's? My dad took me there after we saw Billy Zane in The Phantom.  He loved that comic book.

Veronica: You always tell me that when we're here.

Edward: Wait, did Nadine say Crow Canyon or Bollinger?

Veronica: Bollinger. Crap.

Edward: Just turn around and --

[CRASH: a rock smashes through the passenger side window, hitting Edward. The carpet catches on fire, Max is barking, the car is filling with smoke]

Veronica: What was that?! What is that?! Are you okay?!

Edward: Hospital Hospital Hospital, Christ, find one DON'T TOUCH MY LEG, FOR FUCK'S SAKE I NEED MEDICAL ATTENTION NOW --

[Amid shouting and barking, sound cuts out]

3 comments:

  1. this is fuggin intense. i feel like i should expect a film version at some point.

    -charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa... So weird. I am Laurel Schwarzbach and I just found this from typing in my name on google...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Laurel, are you enjoying the story?

    ReplyDelete