Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Notes from the Future: Audio Journal III

[Further excerpts from an audio journal of voice memos made some days after the quake]

Part III

[Wind, car slowing down on gravel, mid-sentence:]

Veronica: ... she's carrying a baby. She probably does need help. 

[Car stopping, brake engaged, engine off.]

Edward: I'll get out. Stay with Max. Max, stay.

[Keys jingle, seat belt disengages, car door opening, breeze, pickup speeds past, hiking boots on gravel, car door closes.]

Veronica: I'm coming with you. Could be a trap.

Edward: Better you stay in the car, then.

[Generally same as earlier, only not as close. No keys jingling.]

Veronica: Too late.

Voice: Hi, there, can you help?

Edward: What seems to be the trouble?

Voice: My baby is sick. 

Veronica: Oh no ... what happened?

Voice: I was at work, they actually wanted me to come in to work, up at Cal State. They wanted me, so I went in. We didn't even live in the flats, we lived in the condos on Walpert.

Edward: Near the cemetery.

Voice: Yes. Yes, oh, I should -- hi, I'm Nadine.

Edward: Edward. And this is Veronica.

Nadine: Wonderful names, I can tell you're nice people. 

[Awkward silence; sound in distance: gunshot? Car backfiring? Hard to tell.]

Veronica: What happened at Cal State?

Nadine: Nothing. But I work nights. I came home and they were sick, from the, from the fishkill, I guess.

Edward: Who was sick, you have more people with you?

Nadine: In the car, I'll show you.

Veronica: Okay.

Edward: Veronica.

Veronica: What?

Edward: Caution.

Nadine: Oh! Right, of course. You want to be careful. Yes. Okay, look, I'll open all my car doors and you can come far over and look inside. It's an SUV, so look, I can -- pop the back open with a button and -- there you go, the doors, and -- I suppose I should introduce everyone. This here in the kiddie seat is my little girl Kiley, say hi, Sweetie. Her hair isn't usually so messy, it's got more curl in it ...

[Silence. Long. Veronica gasps quietly.]

Nadine: This is my husband, Rick. Rick, this is Edward and Vanessa.

Edward: Veronica.

Nadine (sim.): Victoria.
Veronica (sim.): What?

Edward: Her name is Veronica. What's, um ... what's wrong with Rick?

Nadine: He's pretty tired.

Edward: Hey Rick, you okay?

[Wind blows, another car passes.]

Veronica: Honey, it's okay, there's no one else in the car.

Edward: I can see that, but, Nadine, why aren't they moving?

Nadine: Oh, I wasn't clear, sorry. I got home and they'd gotten sick from the fishkill, from the nitrogen, is what I found out later, so I put them in the car to get them out here away from the nitrogen.

Veronica: Can I, is that ... does your baby have a name?

Nadine: This is Joseph. Baby Joseph.

Veronica: Is Baby Joseph sick, too? Is that why you stopped?

Nadine: You know, I don't quite remember?  I stopped and got out, and I had Baby Joseph in my arms ... Do you want to hold him?

Veronica: Yes, please, I love babies.

Edward (sighing, under breath): Veronica ... nitrogen bloom ...

Veronica: Hello, Baby Joseph. Hoo, someone needs a fresh diaper! Hello, Baby Joseph. 
               Whoa, what's wrong with his ... neck ...

[Wind. Distant sirens.]

Edward: How long has Baby Joseph been asleep like this, Nadine?

Nadine: Since I got home. They all were. Rick didn't want to get up, so I had to carry him out to the garage. Lazy ass.  

Edward: Honey, I think Baby Joseph wants his mommy.

Veronica (very quietly): Yes. Okay. Goodbye, little baby ...

Nadine: Do you guys think you can help me?

Edward: What kind of help do you need, Nadine?

Nadine: I think, I just ... I really need a nap. Could you guys watch the kids while Rick and I take a nap?

Edward: I think the kids are going to be just fine. Do you think you should take them to the hospital? Because they're sick?

Nadine: Could I nap there, do you think? I have Kaiser, I don't know if they'll let me nap.

Edward: Probably. But take the children inside first.

Nadine: Where is it? I'll write it down.

Edward: This is North Livermore, that's May School Road. Take May School Road to Dagnino, make a right, then ... left on Raymond ... yes, then right on Vasco. Take Vasco over the Freeway, make a right at Las Positas Road ... good ... cross First Street, pass Target, and over a little rise, just past some car dealerships, is Kaiser. Right next to Kohls.

Nadine: They're having a sale, I can get the kids some new clothes for the trip.

Edward: Right. Yes.
              Veronica, you ready to go?

[Wind, a crow in the distance.]

Nadine: Thank you both for helping me. 

Veronica: It's okay. 

Nadine: You're very nice people.

Edward: Nadine, you should get in your car now and take your family to the hospital.

Nadine: Oh. That's a good idea. 
             Do you think I could nap there?

Edward: Here, let me write something on the directions:

[Car passing, sound of pen on paper on roof of 1988 Honda Accord LX]

Nadine: "Free Naps"? Where?

Edward: At your hospital. It was on the news just now. Better go quick, the naps are in short supply.

Nadine: Oh, okay! Wow, thank you! Bye!

[Car doors closing, SUV starts]

Veronica: Bye ...

Edward: Nadine! One more thing!

Nadine: Yes?

Edward: What are the roads like getting back to Hayward? Was it easy getting over here?

Nadine: Do not go to Hayward.

Edward: How did you get here?

Nadine: Do not go to Hayward. 

Edward: Will you please tell me how you go over here from there?
 
[Wind, motor running. Then car in reverse, tires on gravel, sound of car coming closer, then idling]

Nadine: You were warned to go another way.

Edward: What the fuck?

Nadine: Hayward is not for you.

Veronica: What are you saying?

Nadine: You need proof, but you will not like it.

Edward: Please.

[Wind. Idling SUV. Crow.]

Nadine: Bollinger stands. Norris is open. Do not crest Norris. Take Ashbourne to Cliffecastle, the gate beyond is already broken. Take the dirt road beyond; there are houses out at the end of it. Do not go near them, take the first faint track on the left, stick to the right after that, it will get easier to drive after a time. Eventually, you will find Jeep Trail, which will take you back to Norris. You know your way from there.

Edward: How did you get around 580 from Walpert?

Nadine: I didn't.

[Engine revs, SUV takes off, spitting gravel.]

Veronica: Ow.

Edward: Let's go.

[Getting back into car, doors, keys, seatbelts, ignition, shifting into drive.

Long time of wind, warm air, radio on low.]

Veronica: I didn't ...  I didn't think her baby was dead.

Edward: I did.  I tried to warn you.

Veronica: I know.

[Wind, occasional cars passing in opposite direction, one honking madly.

After a long time, Veronica sings along softly with a song on the radio; it's barely audible through the static.

Sound cuts out.]

2 comments:

  1. i have a final at 8 am which i have not sufficiently studied for yet this takes precedence.

    ReplyDelete