Thursday, January 5, 2012

Looking Up

Things are looking up here in the land of un/underemployed Edwardia. Last night, I received a message from Judy Clement Wall, co-author of A Waltz and blogger of note, pointing me in the direction of ACX.com. What, I hear all six of you reply, is ACX.com? I'll tell you: it's the Audiobook Creation Exchange. To quote from their website: "ACX is a marketplace where professional authors, agents, publishers, and other Rights Holders can post fallow audiobook rights. At ACX, those unused audio rights will be matched with narrators, engineers, recording studios, and other Producers capable of producing a finished audiobook, as well as with audiobook publishers. The result: More audiobooks will be made."

Putting my evening on hold, I immediately recorded three snippets of what I hope to be viable audiobook narration and, creating a profile, posted it to the site. Doing this with a crackling fire three feet away, a four-year-old running around upstairs and a dog and a bunny making themselves repeatedly comfortable in the room with me was no small challenge. Check out my page and let me know what you think.

Then do me a favor: search ACX.com for books you love, books you'd like to hear me read, books at which you know I'd excel as narrator. Do this, and someday I'll have the money to be able to come see you in your show, attend your wedding, donate to your project or buy you a baby shower gift. See how it all comes back around? Delicious.

1 comment:

  1. As per your request, I have perused ACX and suggest the following excessive list possible auditions:

    http://www.acx.com/titleview/A2M090XYS89AG3

    I'm pretty sure you can still manage "a variety of British accents, from cultivated upper-class, to cockney, to general English," even if I haven't actually heard you in over a year. Plus, I hear the book is rather good, though I haven't gotten to reading it yet.

    http://www.acx.com/titleview/A3Q73KKPUHROTH#more

    No idea if the arguments are any good, but you'd be able to pronounce all the names correctly, you scoundrelly theater-person you.

    http://www.acx.com/titleview/A1NPRVEQ68HVJ0#more

    Please become the narrator for a series of detective pulps from 1950s. No, really. Please. (It is PFH, not Royalty Share, but there are multiple books in the series.)

    http://www.acx.com/titleview/A2VHDQKM9B59V0#more

    I present this option with no comment.

    http://www.acx.com/titleview/A2QFB9FX038I4X

    Freemasons. Seems appropriate.


    So, there's my (sleep-deprived) suggestions. I'll keep an ear out for you.

    ReplyDelete