Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Notes from the Future: Felonious Monk, Part VII

I smile, charming as hell, and say, "Done, ladies. Honey, I love you. Hold on to that amulet." As an added touch, I kiss my hand and toss it to her, Cyrano de Bergerac style. Then I throw the sheet over my head again and as I feel it settle all around me I can't help thinking of the penultimate -- which means second-to-last -- moment in Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera. But I need to focus, so I hold Chauncey tight and I --

Wait, why am I holding Chauncey? I should leave him here, right? Isn't that the whole idea? Right?

Feeling a buzz and tingle in my forehead, I try to push Chauncey away without touching him, trying to twist and not have any contact with him at the same time, hearing a gunshot as 

POP

Smunch face down in dry white cold, I close my eyes, blinking as I shake my head. Opening my eyes and taking a breath of the shockingly cold air, I see flames that are blood red. I see hooves. I see black hair hanging down almost to the snow and I follow it up to where an attractive young woman is slumped over the back of a donkey. Maybe a mule.

The only sounds are of the animals' breathing and the crackling of the flames. Sitting up carefully, I see that the flames appear to be burning in the snow itself, no wood or other material as fuel. This is odd. The snow is cold, soaking through my hospital gown. I want to stand and get my balls warm.

Something moves to my right. I flinch away, throwing up my right hand to ward off whatever it is. No blow comes, and I sneak a squinty glance toward the movement.

Two men crouch there in the snow, staring at me. The one in front is young, maybe in his late twenties. But the man behind him ... I've seen him before. 

Staring at me in frank disbelief is the fat old monk I saw standing over me in my hospital room, what, minutes ago? It feels that way in my timeline. Mother Henrietta and the hot nursies were going to get me painkillers and I saw a flash of light and rolled myself over to look. This guy was standing over my bed. Then some bright symbol appeared in the air behind him, wrapped itself around him like tentacles and he was gone in a flash of lightning.

He's staring at me and his eyes travel to my leg. He breathes something to the other man, shaking his head. The other man simply stares at me, then reaches out with a dagger and pokes at my arm, drawing blood.

"Hey!" I shout. They both flinch back.

"Robert?" the old monk asks. Again, as before, it sounds to me like old French. Not that I would know, I'm not a linguist. But that's the way it sounds. I'm just staring at him and he says it again, pointing at me, "Robert?"

Ah, he wants to know if that is my name. I shake my head no, saying, "Edward. Edward," pointing at my chest.

"Ehtwerht," the old monk repeats, looking at the younger man. "Ehtwerhd, Ehdwehrt ..." It's as though he's trying the word on his tongue. It doesn't seem to fit. I get an idea.

"Édouard," I say, trying to recall what Dr. Hodgson taught us at Chabot College back in 1991 ... is the final 'd' hard or soft? I kind of let it trail off, but the old monk's eyes light up.

"Édouard? Édouard?" he asks, again in an old old dialect.

"Oui," I say. Both men gasp.

"Oh, Dieu merci! Je ne savais pas où je serais allé ou ce que j'avais fait, mais sûrement, vous pouvez nous aider maintenant que les dieux ont jugé bon de vous amener ici lorsque nous vous avons tant besoin! C'est en effet un jour de joie! Ah, mais j'oubliais: je suis Frère Rudel et c'est Hannibal le Bavard, tandis que là-bas sur le dos de la mule et l'âne sont le Père Robert et une mystérieuse jeune fille que nous essayons de sauver de ce qui semble être une brûlure loup démon. Je suis désolé, je parle trop vite? Et quelle est cette chose sur votre jambe?"

It's at a time like this that I curse my younger self for focusing on girls instead of French in my first two years of college. I say, "Uh ...  I am ... how to say ..." but a sound comes from beyond the red flames and I see something moving there in the snow, but it isn't clear what it might be. 

Following my gaze, the old monk whispers, "Le démon brûlante loup. Il nous a suivis pour lieues de la plus longue et la plus sombre de cette nuit."

I can't see it clearly. I find myself struggling to stand and both men are on either side of me, supporting me and lifting me until I can lean against the neck of the donkey, its warm wet fur a comfort in this cold snowy night. Looking out beyond the red flames I see a large pool of steaming, reddish-pink chunky fluid. It looks like raw pork coagulating in half-cooked egg whites, except that it bubbles slightly and there, crouched around its edges, are five small abominations and one large horror. The small abominations are drinking at the edge of the pool, sucking the thick, steaming liquid in with relish, squealing and grunting with pleasure. The large thing, torn almost diagonally in half, is stroking what appears to be the remains of a literally monstrous cock and gazing ... directly into my eyes.

Something about its eyes is very, very familiar.

A face is beginning to coalesce in my memory around those eyes when the thing grabs one of the little meatwads drinking at the edge of the disgusting pool and devours it, blood dripping from its jaws, steaming in the red light of the fire. The other little creatures go screaming, scampering around the pool, trying to keep their distance from the thing but unwilling to leave their meat soup. Lunging after them, the thing lands in the pool of steaming meatjuice and I am surprised to see that it has stumps of legs with raw, exposed nerves. They were buried under the snow. 

"What -- what is that thing?" I ask, pointing.

The old monk says, in a tone of why-are-you-making-me-repeat-myself, "Le démon brûlante loup," pointing at it with a gesture of impatience.
 
Something catches in my brain.
 
"Le ... démon ... ?" I ask.
 
"Oui, je vous l'ai déjà dit. Pourquoi me fais-tu répéter les choses? Vous venez de certains univers fantastique, vous devez disposer de pouvoirs fantastiques. Tu ne peux pas faire quelque chose? Sinon, comment avez-vous ici si vous n'êtes pas un grand sorcier?!"
 
Whatever he's bellowing at me, he's confirmed that that thing is a demon. I've never dealt with a demon before. Well, something like a demon, but she's still in Massachusetts, as far as I can tell. And that was a long, long time ago at TAC. I've kept pretty well to the bright side of the ghostlight since then, and yet ... here I am in ... this place. It's fucking cold. I'm shaking uncontrollably. And this fat old monk expects me to banish what appears to be a wounded, flaming, rapey werewolf that is wallowing in some kind of raw meat stew.
 
Only ... oh my God.
 
The little meatwads have grown legs and arms and heads -- they are little replicas of the werewolfy demon thingy. That can't be good.
 
He's rolling over in the stew and it appears that the torn and broken half of him is regenerating. No more flapping lung, no more broken ribs -- his torso is whole, pink flesh. And the parts of him that are regrowing look entirely human.  Maybe he is a werewolf after all.
 
Whatever he is, he keeps looking directly at me. Now he's drinking the soup and his face and head are regenerating where they looked to have been burned. And the face ...
 
Holy shit. I have seen that face before. I know who this is.
 
I turn to the monk. "Listen to me, we have to kill that thing and kill it now. We have to stop it right where it is. We have to end its life now and forever, here in this place. If we can do that, if we can kill that thing, we will stop a great evil from spreading from here forward through time. We can stop hundreds, maybe thousands of peoples' deaths. Do you have anything, a sword, a gun, any kind of weapon?"
 
The monk grabs me by my hospital gown, ignoring the frozen vomit stuck to the front, bellowing, "Écoutez-moi, vous devez tuer cette chose et la tuer maintenant! Vous devez l'arrêter là où il est. Vous devez mettre fin à sa vie maintenant et pour toujours, ici, dans cet endroit. Quoi qu'il en soit, partout où il est venu, il a le pouvoir de se régénérer! Si vous ne le tue pas maintenant, il ne peut jamais être tué. Et nous avons déclenché un grand mal sur le monde!"
 
There was a lot of vous in that paragraph. Only one nous that I could catch. 
 
They expect me to kill this thing, I think. Glancing at it, I watch it struggle to its knees, testing newly-grown muscles. The face is that of a man, a man I recognize, but something seems to be moving under the skin of his skull. He is watching me, smiling, tugging on his now normal, average human cock, reaching down to get a handful of the steaming meatchunk juice in which to baste his penis.
 
"Oh my God, he's masturbating with raw meat juice. Does nobody here understand hygiene?!" I shout this, looking at them, but the old monk and the quiet guy are staring at me, waiting. I don't know what to say.
 
One of the miniature wolfy demons grabs another one and starts to fuck and eat it, devouring it and growing larger. A third sees this and grabs the nearest little monster, trying to fuck its mouth. But the would-be victim bites the cock off its attacker and fucks and devours it instead. By the time the first one is done eating its litter mate, it is the size of a tall child of ten. The other one isn't far behind. They both turn toward the final little foulling, calculation clear in their eyes, but in that moment the werewolfy fellow stands up from within his raw soup and points. Directly at me. Then it opens its mouth and a sound comes out which seems like speech but speech made of screams. As though its voice is that of torment itself. Then its shadow moves up from the ground to hang about it like a cloak, and from the shadow comes a voice, thickly accented in a dialect I've never heard -- but speaking English.
 
"You," it says. "You are like me. You are broken. You are outside of the time from which you were spawned. I see places and things sticking to you, I smell alien smells upon you. You are not from this place, or from my place. Yet I see that there are none like me in your time, and I would dearly love to have more playthings. If you were more like me, you could be made whole in a stew of your own seed and filth. If you make it easy for me, I can make you as I am. If you let me into that circle, let me at that girl, I will make you just like me. Take me with you to your place and I will reward you with an inky cloak like mine. This is what you want, yes?"
 
I find myself urged to say yes, as though a hand is pushing my thoughts to that place. Talking is like running upstream in whitewater but I say, "No."

The man in the puddle of raw meat smiles. The three little creatures have gathered at his feet, the runt greedily gulping more of the disgusting stew as they all smile at me.
 
His face, squirming this whole time, now splits almost down the middle, just to the left of his nose. Hair is poking out. The little beastlings are stroking their cocks, smiling. This is some bizarre shit. No American filmmaker would have the balls to put this on the screen. That thought has me thinking of Hercules Saves Christmas -- what if the evil elves had wickedly stroked their cocks and raped and eaten one another? Excellent family fare, you're welcome Animal Planet.
 
I am brought back to the present by his odd screamsong voice, and the accented translation coming from the shadowy coalescence around him. 
 
"No. Of course not. But what if I simply give you the gift of a monstrous cock? Doesn't every man wish for a little more? Doesn't every man ... ?" His eyes roll back in his head and his back arches and hair sprouts over more of his body like mold, and his cock engorges like someone is pushing their arm into it from inside him. It stretches, bending forward and down.
 
Then it rips and peels back and there is a great, bleeding, bulbous barbed thing, dripping blood and some kind of ichor from the tip. He appears to be in the throes of orgasm and suddenly arches his back as a great gob of sizzling greenish jizz shoots from his horribly misshapen penis, arching through the air over the fire, straight for the inert form of the girl on the back of the mule. Donkey?
  
I'm turning, panicked, watching, helpless, thinking I could jump in the way when -- CLANG -- the demon jizz hits an iron pan, sizzling, screaming, and the holder of the pan -- the old monk -- whirls in place and flings it back through the flames wherein the jizz really does scream, louder than I thought jizz could scream. The pan slams into the beast's face, breaking nose and upper jaw and teeth.
 
This does not matter, because the face beneath is now free to push through. It's the face of a wolf, if a wolf were a rapey demon. 
 
It raises its head and howls. 
 
The little creatures around it, now as tall as its shoulders, join in the howling. But their howls are nothing next to their father's.
 
In all my life I have never heard the sound of doom. Until now. Final trumpets of failed battles, babies trampled under hooves of invaders, mothers dying as they are raped in childbirth, boys mutilated for pleasure, families forced to eat the fresh entrails of their still-living loved ones, atrocities piling up like plague dead -- and all of it spawned in my mind in a moment by this howl, this certainty, this dark and possible prophecy. I understand one thing now with complete clarity: his howl is his promise. And he means to fulfill it.
 
I have to stop him. 
 
He turns to his left, grabs the smallest of his spawn, hoists it in the air, then crouches. Ready to throw. He's going to throw it over the fire. It will terrify the animals, they'll bolt -- and he'll have the girl. 

I shout the first thing that comes to mind.
 


1 comment: