Saturday, March 3, 2012

Popcorn & Perception

I love to go to the movies. For me, this is Church. I'm serious about that. I deeply need to go to the movies at least once a week, and I would go to the movies every night if I could. I love to watch movies. I absolutely love them. I even love terrible movies; there's something so amazing about a film that some idiot worked very hard on and thought might turn out good, but that turns out (to anyone other than the filmmaker, perhaps) to be not quite what the filmmaker had planned.

I was at an informal production meeting last Wednesday, when I referenced my first feature film and my feeling that it was not successful. The entire table, all theatrical professionals, chorused immediately variations upon this theme: What are you talking about?! It was a huge success!

I confess: I was baffled. Truly baffled.  I directed the film and I had not heard it was a success.  It is possible that they were getting their information from somewhere exceptionally odd, but all of them were saying the same thing.  So the mystery is: was it a huge success? If so, why haven't I heard anything about this success? If not, why do people think it was a success?

Still baffled.

No comments:

Post a Comment