Thursday, December 3, 2009

On The Brilliance of Sam Craig

There are few people as funny as Sam Craig. He can find the hilarious root of any situation, and from that root cultivate an hybrid that surprises and delights anyone with a real sense of humor. Real sense of humor being key. Those who are frightened or uncomfortable with Sam's humor are usually fairly uptight. Which is funny in itself.

I work with Sam in our series, For SCIENCE!, wherein I do my best to stop laughing once he starts me up. That's basically how it goes: I say something, Sam bats it back at me in a slightly altered form, I lob it back over the net and then he spikes the joke and destroys my game. Frankly, I wouldn't have it any other way. Sam makes me laugh. It's a rare ability. I just wish I could make him laugh as much.

Recently, Sam was in Oregon. For about a year, actually. Sam moved up there to be a newspaperman. Apparently, he was miserable, so he has come back to the crazy hell of the Bay Area -- and we are all delighted to have him here. He came down briefly in October, and we shot several episodes of For SCIENCE!, wherein Sam graciously battled Brandon Hunt for supremacy as my co-host. The results of that epic battle will soon be available online, but until then I can only say that their verbal repartee was almost as good as their swordplay. It's something you will want to savor again and again.

Last night, Sam and I were two of three Prospects in an episode of Brandon's brilliant NerdCAST, a podcast centered entirely on all things nerds like; it was the show's first birthday, and we toasted with Korbel, Pepsi and Martinelli's Sparkling Cider. I was delighted to be a part of something so unabashedly nerdy, and I know Sam had a good time.

There's been some speculation as to whether or not Sam will, in fact, choose to stay with Tiger after his recent transgressions came to light. I hope Sam will take the high road and stay; after all, it's important to realize that Tiger is only human. We all make mistakes.

Enjoy your delicious samples of Sam Craig, everybody. And please remember to wipe your hands before you touch the doorknob.

© 2009, Edward Hightower. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment